Try this watermelon granita recipe. You can watch Sue prepare the dish in this clip from Lakeland Cooks!
- 4 cups watermelon chunks, seeds removed
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 to half cup sugar
- An adult should cut the watermelon in half. Child may use an ice cream scoop to remove chunks of watermelon and place in a glass 4-cup measure.
- Transfer 4 cups of watermelon to 9- x 9-inch glass or metal baking pan.
- Try to remove as many seeds as possible. Child can use fork to crush watermelon and get the mixture as smooth as possible.
- Mix in sugar and lemon juice.
- Place dish in freezer and let mixture set for 30 minutes. Pull it out and have child mix it with a fork, then return to freezer.
- Repeat scraping and mixing the Granita every 30 minutes for about 3 hours, until all Granita is crystallized.
- To serve, scrape mixture into serving dishes with an ice cream scoop.
Tips/TechniquesWhen shopping for a watermelon, look for one that is heavy for its size, has a bit of yellow on the underside where it was resting on the ground as it grew, and a stem that is dried up. Wear clean gardening gloves that have rubber grippers on the palm when cutting watermelon. It will give you a good hold of the melon and help prevent accidents. Lemon juice will give the Granita a little zing.