Watermelon Halloumi Salad
Try a different type of cheese in this watermelon halloumi salad. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
Yield: Serves 4 to 6 (as a side salad)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Watermelon Halloumi:
- 1/2 small (3-pound) watermelon, melon balled
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 8 ounces halloumi, cubed into bite-size pieces
- To Make the Dressing: To a bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until combined. Set aside.
- To Make the Remainder of the Salad: To a large bowl, add the watermelon, tomatoes and Italian parsley.
- To a small saute pan, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When warm, add the green onion and allow to cook until softened, about a minute. Pour into the bowl with the watermelon and tomatoes. Return the saute pan to the stove and add more olive oil, if needed. Add the cubes of halloumi and sear on each side for about a minute, until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly before adding it to the bowl with the watermelon. Toss and serve immediately.