Watermelon Salad with French Feta Cheese and Wild Arugula and Lavender Honey
A summer salad featuring local watermelon and French-style feta cheese with an interesting infused honey technique.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon lavender buds
- 1/4 cup mild honey
- 1 ounce red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 3 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups red and yellow (optional) watermelon cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes and drained
- 1/4 cup finely shaved red onion
- 1 bunch mature arugula washed and dried (mint is nice also)
- 1 cup crumbled French-style feta cheese
- For the lavender honey: In a small saucepan, melt the butter until it bubbles. Crumble the lavender buds into the butter and cook until fragrant and lavender is starting to crisp.
- Strain the lavender butter through a fine-mesh strainer and set aside the liquids. Clean the saucepan and add the honey and infused butter. Warm slightly over low heat and keep warm.
- For the red wine vinaigrette: macerate the minced shallots in the red wine vinegar for 5 minutes. Whisk in the olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the salad, place the watermelon, onion, arugula, and cheese in a large bowl. Add the vinaigrette and toss gently.
- Serve the salad on individual plates or bowls, sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over all the servings, and drizzle the honey on top.