Whole Wheat Apricot Crostata
Serve this whole wheat apricot crostata alone or with a scoop of vanilla gelato! Food blogger Jenna Weber describes flavors of apricots in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ice water
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- For filling
- 6 apricots, sliced thin
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and butter with your fingertips until all the butter has been incorporated and the mixture resembles cornmeal. Drizzle in the water and mix with a spoon until a dough forms.
- Pat dough into a large ball, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling. Toss the sliced apricots with the sugar and flour in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough into a 12” circle on a flour surface. Place the sliced apricots in the center of the dough then gently fold the edges of the dough in towards center. Place crostata on your prepared sheet tray and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden.
- Let crostata cool for 25 minutes before serving.