- vegetable oil for baking sheet
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) plus more for work surface
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a baking sheet with oil; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; stir in walnuts and raisins. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Add to flour mixture; stir just until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, with floured hands, pat dough into a loaf about 1 inch thick, 2 1/2 inches wide (and about 7 inches long); transfer to baking sheet. Bake until risen and firm, 20 to 25 minutes; cool completely on sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Place loaf on a cutting board, and using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1/4 -inch-thick slices; place slices in a single layer on sheet. Bake, turning once, until dried and slightly golden, 25 to 30 minutes; cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a month.