Wild Rice Arugula Salad with Maple Glazed Acorn Squash
Combine wild rice, maple glazed acorn squash, pomegranate and goat cheese. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of the Fresh Tastes blog)
- For the Acorn Squash:
- 1 small acorn squash, halved, cut into 1/4-inch slices and seeds discarded
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- For the Rice:
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Freshly ground pepper
- For the Assembly:
- 3 ounces baby or regular arugula
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
- Seeds from 1/4 pomegranate
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread out the slices of acorn squash. Brush both sides of the slices with maple syrup and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt. Transfer to the oven to roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until the squash is tender with a fork. The cook time may depend on the size of your squash so just be sure to check on it.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, set over medium heat, combine the rice, water, salt and olive oil. Bring the mixture to an aggressive simmer and then immediately lower to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook the rice until water is evaporated and until the texture is tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Wild rice depends on the type you end up buying; I’d recommend following the instructions on the back of the bag (it most likely will be similar to these instructions but may vary slightly).
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together, along with a few pinches of salt and a few turns of freshly ground pepper.
- At this point, you can store all of the components separately and toss everything together before serving. If you want to assemble now, toss the arugula and Italian parsley with the dressing, being sure the leaves are thoroughly coated with the dressing. Add the rice and toss once more. Arrange the slices of acorn squash and top with the pomegranate seeds and goat cheese crumbles.