Zucchini au Gratin
Similar to potatoes au gratin, get ready to cook and toss some vegetables until the parmesan in this zucchini au gratin recipe is baked and bubbly. Jenna Weber shares why she loves this recipe in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- For sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1.5 cups milk
- Grate the zucchinis using a box grater. Cover grated zucchini with paper towels, squeeze to get out liquid, let sit for 15 minutes then squeeze again to get rid of any extra water.
- Heat two tbsp butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the shallot and sauté for four minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the grated zucchini and a pinch of salt and continue sautéing for another four minutes, until zucchini is soft and bright green. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a small glass casserole dish OR individual ramekins.
- Now, make the sauce. In a small pot over medium heat, melt the remaining two tbsp of butter. Once melted and bubbly, add the flour and whisk constantly until mixture turns the color of peanut butter. Slowly stream in the milk, whisking while you pour. Continue whisking until no more clumps of roux remain. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and continue whisking over medium heat until sauce thickens----about five minutes.
- Once thick, pour the sauce over the zucchini and transfer to either your glass dish or your individual ramekins. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake zucchini au gratin for 20 minutes, until bubbly and the top is golden. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.