Zucchini Fennel Soup
A great vegetarian zucchini fennel soup that is healthy, low in fat, and delicious.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
Total time: 35 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 3 medium zucchini, diced in ½-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt plus more for garnish
- 2 small sprigs fennel greens plus more for garnish
- 10 (2-inch) mint leaves plus more for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot on medium heat. Add the onions, fennel, and salt. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the zucchini and garlic. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the water and cook the vegetables for 15 minutes on a low simmer until the zucchini is fork soft.
- Carefully transfer the mixture, yogurt, fennel greens, and mint to a blender.
- With a tight fitting lid on, puree the soup on low speed. Keep in mind the soup will be hot and must be pureed on a very slow speed so the steam inside the container does not explode. Once the blender has been running for 10 seconds, increase the speed to the fastest slowly. Puree for one minute. Season with additional salt if necessary.
- Serve immediately and garnish with a small dollop of yogurt, fennel leaves, and mint.