This tart is a perfect appetizer for any dinner party. Recipe by Kim Laidlaw
- One 10-inch tart pan lined with flaky pie dough
- 3 zucchini trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup cubed fresh mozzarella
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line the tart pan with the dough, then line the dough with foil. Fill with ceramic pie weights or beans or rice. Place the tart shell on a baking sheet and bake until it starts to dry out, about 15 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and continue to bake until very light golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the tart shell is baking, shred the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater-shredder onto paper towels. Spread evenly and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for about 20 minutes. Using paper towels, blot the zucchini dry (try to get it as dry as possible).
- Sprinkle the zucchini and mozzarella evenly in the lined tart pan. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, crème fraiche, and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the zucchini. Sprinkle the fontina and Parmesan evenly over the top.
- Bake until the filling is set and the top is golden brown, about 25 minutes. If you want to get the cheese extra bubbly and brown, place under the broiler for a minute. Let sit for a few minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.