Zucchini Za’atar Vegan Scones
Vegan zucchini scones are a delicious side dish or breakfast food. Try these wonderful, healthy scones with your tea. Food blogger Marc Matsumoto explains the importance of flavored olive oil for this dish in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 250grams whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons unrefined sugar
- 2 teaspoon za’atar
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 packed cup grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the onion into a pan over medium heat and sauté the onions until caramelized (15-20 minutes). If you have frozen caramelized onions you can skip this step and grate the frozen onions in with the zucchini.
- Put the oven rack in the middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F (180 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and za’atar in a bowl.
- Use a Microplane or clean coffee grinder to powderize the shiitake mushrooms and add it into the bowl with the flour. Whisk together.
- Add the grated zucchini to a bowl and stir together with the salt.
- Add the caramelized onion, olive oil, soy yogurt, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Dump the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together with a spatula until just combined.
- Dump the dough out onto a well-floured surface and pat it out into a rectangle that's about 1 inch thick.
- Slice the dough into 9 pieces using a floured knife so it resembles a tic-tac-toe board. Then cut each square in half diagonally to get triangles. Use a spatula to transfer the triangles to your baking sheet.
- Bake until the scones are golden brown on top (about 15-20 minutes).
- Cool the scones on a wire rack for a few minutes and serve warm.