Media Mobilizing Project recently started a new initiative: Community Journalism in Times of Economic Crisis. The initiative is a response to both the economic crisis, which is hitting Philadelphians hard, and the growing problems with the for-profit journalism model, which is making it difficult for local newspapers to cover stories about the struggles of everyday people during the economic downturn. The goal of this project is to report on and collect the real stories of Philadelphia and beyond on MMP’s community blog, so we can begin to get a picture of the economic crisis from the ground up. Here is a copy of our latest newsletter: The Human Right to Healthcare: Northeastern Hospital is Groundzero
MediaShift delivers the best news on media and technology directly to your in-box.
Best of Idea Lab
- The Difference Between 'Invention' and 'Innovation'
- The Pros and Cons of Using Kickstarter to Fundraise
- Former Facebook ME Dan Fletcher: 'It's a Great Time to Launch a New Publication'
- 4 Lessons for Journalism Students from the Digital Edge
- The Top 5 Ways to Help Survivors During a Disaster
- Lessons from the School of Data Journalism
- Can Citizen Journalism Move Beyond Crisis Reporting?
- Mona Lisa Stopped Smiling: A Conversation on the Phenomenology of News