1. Marie Antoinette was often accused of having a secret love affair with whom?
The Cardinal de Rohan, a French Bishop
Count Axel von Fersen, a Swedish Statesman
Jacques Necker, the Minister of Finance
The Abbe Sieyes, a key player in the start of France's Revolution
2. What was Marie Antoinette's name at birth?
Marietta de la Anton
3. What infamous quote has been wrongfully attributed to Marie Antoinette?
Peasants aren't people!
Live and let die.
Let them eat cake.
Poverty bores me.
4. When Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI tried to flee house arrest, in which city were they caught?
5. In her last days, Marie Antoinette was held prisoner with her two surviving children and Madame Elizabeth, who was:
Her favorite servant
Louis XVI's mistress
6. Marie Antoinette frequently corresponded with her mother, who offered what advice?
“Never go to bed angry.”
“Learn as much as you can about governmental secrets, and pass them back to me.”
“Do try to get your head stocked with good reading. You need it more than almost anyone.”
“Make a special effort to meet and converse with the people of France, and make them adore you as much as I do.”
7. As a young queen, how did Marie Antoinette wear her hair?
In traditional Austrian braids
In a severe bun
Piled three feet high
Shaved to the scalp and covered with a bonnet
8. How did Marie Antoinette change the landscape at Petit Trianon?
She removed all formal gardens and planted wildflowers
She paved the entire area with precious marble slabs
She had it landscaped to resemble the English countryside
She built numerous apartments for the peasantry
Copyright David Grubin Productions, Inc. 2006
Published September 13, 2006