1. At her trial, what was Marie Antoinette accused of?
Sexually abusing her son
All of the above
2. What was the name of Marie Antoinette's famous getaway, built on the grounds of Versailles?
Garden of the Gods
Chateau de Antoinette
3. In her entire lifetime, Marie Antoinette never saw:
A single peasant
4. Marie Antoinette frequently corresponded with her mother, who offered what advice?
“Never go to bed angry.”
“Learn as much as you can about governmental secrets, and pass them back to me.”
“Do try to get your head stocked with good reading. You need it more than almost anyone.”
“Make a special effort to meet and converse with the people of France, and make them adore you as much as I do.”
5. What did Marie Antoinette's mother say about her penchant for fashion?
“Dress well, and your people will think well of you.”
“The French have the finest fabrics and most exquisite tailors, so indulge yourself in your new country’s finery!”
“A good queen has no care for her appearance; it is her keen intellect that is most her most attractive feature.”
“Simplicity of attire is more suitable to exalted rank.”
6. How did Marie Antoinette change the landscape at Petit Trianon?
She removed all formal gardens and planted wildflowers
She paved the entire area with precious marble slabs
She had it landscaped to resemble the English countryside
She built numerous apartments for the peasantry
7. How did tabloid pamphlets in France portray Marie Antoinette?
As a kind and benevolent queen
As a steely matriarch, like her mother
As an extravagant, adulterous, and perverted ignoramus
As a political mastermind
8. Where was The Tennis Court Oath signed?
At the marble courtyard in Versailles
At an indoor tennis court
At a court located in a Parisian gentleman's club
In a boardroom; its title is a misnomer
Copyright David Grubin Productions, Inc. 2006
Published September 13, 2006