1. In what year did Marie Antoinette marry the future Louis XVI?
2. What were Marie Antoinette’s last words before she was beheaded?
Sir, I am not guilty. (She screamed this as she tried to get away).
I am proud to die for my beloved France.
I am sorry; I did not mean to do it. (An apology for stepping on the executioner's foot).
Shame on you, you vile criminals.
3. Was was the name of the jewelry theft scandal in which Marie Antoinette was wrongfully involved?
The Bracelet Scam
The Diamond Necklace Affair
The Jewelry Hijacking
The Royal Ruse
4. How did a French journalist describe Marie Antoinette's procession to her execution?
"Marie Antoinette was the picture of courage."
"The whore was audacious and insolent to the very end."
"Our Queen knew that she had made her bed, and that she must lie in it."
"Everyone lining the streets said that a grave mistake was being made."
5. Marie Antoinette frequently corresponded with her mother, who offered what advice?
“Never go to bed angry.”
“Learn as much as you can about governmental secrets, and pass them back to me.”
“Do try to get your head stocked with good reading. You need it more than almost anyone.”
“Make a special effort to meet and converse with the people of France, and make them adore you as much as I do.”
6. What did Louis XV (Louis XVI's grandfather) die of?
A heart attack
7. What was the name of the mock village Marie Antoinette had built on the Versaille grounds?
The Hall of Mirrors
8. As a child, Marie Antoinette met what famous composer?
Copyright David Grubin Productions, Inc. 2006
Published September 13, 2006