1. How many siblings did Marie Antoinette have?
2, including a twin brother
None; she was an only child
2. Marie Antoinette was often accused of having a secret love affair with whom?
The Cardinal de Rohan, a French Bishop
Count Axel von Fersen, a Swedish Statesman
Jacques Necker, the Minister of Finance
The Abbe Sieyes, a key player in the start of France's Revolution
3. What infamous quote has been wrongfully attributed to Marie Antoinette?
Peasants aren't people!
Live and let die.
Let them eat cake.
Poverty bores me.
4. What were Marie Antoinette’s last words before she was beheaded?
Sir, I am not guilty. (She screamed this as she tried to get away).
I am proud to die for my beloved France.
I am sorry; I did not mean to do it. (An apology for stepping on the executioner's foot).
Shame on you, you vile criminals.
5. Marie Antoinette frequently corresponded with her mother, who offered what advice?
“Never go to bed angry.”
“Learn as much as you can about governmental secrets, and pass them back to me.”
“Do try to get your head stocked with good reading. You need it more than almost anyone.”
“Make a special effort to meet and converse with the people of France, and make them adore you as much as I do.”
6. What did Louis XV (Louis XVI's grandfather) die of?
A heart attack
7. What did Marie Antoinette's mother say about her penchant for fashion?
“Dress well, and your people will think well of you.”
“The French have the finest fabrics and most exquisite tailors, so indulge yourself in your new country’s finery!”
“A good queen has no care for her appearance; it is her keen intellect that is most her most attractive feature.”
“Simplicity of attire is more suitable to exalted rank.”
8. Why were the underground pamphlets portraying an immoral Marie Antoinette impossible for the French government to suppress?
France had strong freedom-of-press laws
The volume was too great, and production was too fast
The queen herself told government officials not to react to such trash
King Louis XVI ordered officials to ignore them
Copyright David Grubin Productions, Inc. 2006
Published September 13, 2006