1. What infamous quote has been wrongfully attributed to Marie Antoinette?
Peasants aren't people!
Live and let die.
Let them eat cake.
Poverty bores me.
2. What did Marie Antoinette's mother say about her penchant for fashion?
“Dress well, and your people will think well of you.”
“The French have the finest fabrics and most exquisite tailors, so indulge yourself in your new country’s finery!”
“A good queen has no care for her appearance; it is her keen intellect that is most her most attractive feature.”
“Simplicity of attire is more suitable to exalted rank.”
3. Which one of Marie Antoinette's closest friends was tortured and beheaded by the Parisian mob?
Princesse de Lamballe
Madame du Barry
Comtesse de Lamotte
4. As a young queen, how did Marie Antoinette wear her hair?
In traditional Austrian braids
In a severe bun
Piled three feet high
Shaved to the scalp and covered with a bonnet
5. What did Marie Antoinette do at Petit Trianon?
Milked cows and tended sheep
All of the above
6. How did tabloid pamphlets in France portray Marie Antoinette?
As a kind and benevolent queen
As a steely matriarch, like her mother
As an extravagant, adulterous, and perverted ignoramus
As a political mastermind
7. Why were the underground pamphlets portraying an immoral Marie Antoinette impossible for the French government to suppress?
France had strong freedom-of-press laws
The volume was too great, and production was too fast
The queen herself told government officials not to react to such trash
King Louis XVI ordered officials to ignore them
8. How many mirrors are in Versailles famed Hall of Mirrors?
One large mirror placed on the ceiling
Copyright David Grubin Productions, Inc. 2006
Published September 13, 2006