1. Marie Antoinette's mother was a famous ruler. Who was she?
Empress Maria Theresa
The Queen of Sheba
2. Due to her extravagant tastes, Marie Antoinette had many nicknames, including:
3. What infamous quote has been wrongfully attributed to Marie Antoinette?
Peasants aren't people!
Live and let die.
Let them eat cake.
Poverty bores me.
4. What was the name of Marie Antoinette's famous getaway, built on the grounds of Versailles?
Garden of the Gods
Chateau de Antoinette
5. As a child, Marie Antoinette learned how to play:
6. Louis XVI was a solitary person. What was he passionate about?
7. What did Marie Antoinette's mother say about her penchant for fashion?
“Dress well, and your people will think well of you.”
“The French have the finest fabrics and most exquisite tailors, so indulge yourself in your new country’s finery!”
“A good queen has no care for her appearance; it is her keen intellect that is most her most attractive feature.”
“Simplicity of attire is more suitable to exalted rank.”
8. Why were the underground pamphlets portraying an immoral Marie Antoinette impossible for the French government to suppress?
France had strong freedom-of-press laws
The volume was too great, and production was too fast
The queen herself told government officials not to react to such trash
King Louis XVI ordered officials to ignore them
Copyright David Grubin Productions, Inc. 2006
Published September 13, 2006