News Operations Manager Duties
- Be able to work closely with the executive producer and editorial staff.
- Be able to effectively evaluate NewsHour’s broadcast and on-line functional needs and current workflow.
- Be able to work with a team of newsroom employees toward defining a new newsroom computer system, central storage and playout system that will streamline newsroom functions.
- Act as the NewsHour’s team lead and liaison with the potential vendors, and work collaboratively with other Newshour employees and senior management to implement the selected newsroom computer system that meets the NewsHour needs.
- With vendors, IT and broadcast technical personnel, collaboratively design a new newsroom computer system, central storage, ingest and playout system for NewsHour.
- Be able to work with outsourced trainers to train the NewsHour staff to fully utilize any new system that is chosen.
- Be able to manage the phase-in of the newsroom system, as not everything will be purchased at once.
- Keep current on all forms of news-gathering and newsroom system equipment.
- Collaborate with other broadcast editorial and technical professionals to continually evaluate and build the newsroom infrastructure.
- Have at least 5 years of experience as a News Director or News Operations Manager at a commercial TV station with a news department, or
- 5 years of experience as a News Operations Manager at one of the network news bureaus (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN), or
- 5 years as a product/project manager or trainer for a newsroom systems manufacturer, or a demonstrable client list if a self-employed trainer/newsroom consultant
- Experience working in a news environment or newsroom that has successfully merged its broadcast and online operations.
- Experience with operating and capital budget plans.
- Must have significant experience with basic system design and operation of the following:
- Non-linear editing systems (Final Cut Pro, Avid, Edius, etc.)
- MAM and Central Storage programs and their functionality
- Newsroom Computer Systems
- Content ingest and playout solutions (news-based)
- Must be an excellent team-builder and communicator.
The News Operations position reports to the Executive Producer with dotted lines to the President, Managing Editor Digital News, and the Director of IT and is the located at studio building in Arlington Virginia.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; principals only
Salary is negotiable, commensurate with experience and job responsibilities.
Posted: Oct. 23, 2012