ArticleFebruary 2nd, 2014
Active learning resources
Active learning is a great way to engage students and help them reach their fullest potential. Research supports the positive effects of physical activity on attention, academic and pro-social behavior. Use these tools and lesson plans to get your classroom moving!
1. Resource | Brain Rules’ video on exercise and optimal learning environments
To learn more about the science behind the relationship between exercise and learning watch the above from Brain Rules
2. Lesson Plans | The Zombie Autopsies for Educators
Lessons 1 and 2 teaches students about neurotransmitters, neurotransmission and neuroanatomy through multi-media and active learning games. This unit was inspired by the book the “Zombie Autopsies” by Dr. Steven Schlozman.
3. Lesson Plan | Research Methods and Statistics through Kickball
In this active learning lesson plan students will learn basic statistics and research methods by creating and carrying out their own experiment. Playing kickball is suggested, but not required.
4. Lesson Plan | Paper Football and Government Fundamentals
Use paper football to teach students about different kinds of governments.
5. Resource | Five Finger Fling
Use this math activity from Ever Active Schools to get students on their feet and thinking.
6. Video and Article | Why recess and physical education are making a comeback
Use this story from the PBS NewsHour to teach your students about the merits of “active learning.”
7. Resource | Let’s Move
Let’s Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by First Lady Michelle Obama, dedicated to solving the problem of obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams.
Submit Your Student Voice
Tooltip of RSS content 3
- Why North Dakota’s oil fields are so dangerous
DOWNLOAD VIDEO At least 74 people have died working in North Dakota’s Bakken oil fields…BakkenNorth DakotaoilSafety
- Censorship still apparent as Cuba forges place in the art world
As the U.S. and Cuba restore diplomatic ties, artists in Cuba continue to face censorship by a socialist government. Continue readingartArts & Culturecuba
- Opening for business could end Internet isolation for Cuba
After decades of isolation, Cuba could soon expand access to consumer technology and the Internet. Continue readingcensorshipcubaInternet
- Five things your class needs to know about U.S.-Iranian relations
By Gabby Shacknai Iran’s nuclear program has been a point of international attention since it…International IssuesIrannuclear weaponsPolitics
- Trans fat no more: FDA gives food industry three years
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has ordered the elimination of all trans fats from the food supply within the next three years, a long-awaited move that is expected to save thousands of lives per year. Continue readingfoodHealthTrans fats