ArticleFebruary 2nd, 2014
Active learning resources
Active learning is a great way to engage students and help them reach their fullest potential. Research supports the positive effects of physical activity on attention, academic and pro-social behavior. Use these tools and lesson plans to get your classroom moving!
1. Resource | Brain Rules’ video on exercise and optimal learning environments
To learn more about the science behind the relationship between exercise and learning watch the above from Brain Rules
2. Lesson Plans | The Zombie Autopsies for Educators
Lessons 1 and 2 teaches students about neurotransmitters, neurotransmission and neuroanatomy through multi-media and active learning games. This unit was inspired by the book the “Zombie Autopsies” by Dr. Steven Schlozman.
3. Lesson Plan | Research Methods and Statistics through Kickball
In this active learning lesson plan students will learn basic statistics and research methods by creating and carrying out their own experiment. Playing kickball is suggested, but not required.
4. Lesson Plan | Paper Football and Government Fundamentals
Use paper football to teach students about different kinds of governments.
5. Resource | Five Finger Fling
Use this math activity from Ever Active Schools to get students on their feet and thinking.
6. Video and Article | Why recess and physical education are making a comeback
Use this story from the PBS NewsHour to teach your students about the merits of “active learning.”
7. Resource | Let’s Move
Let’s Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by First Lady Michelle Obama, dedicated to solving the problem of obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams.
Submit Your Student Voice
Tooltip of RSS content 3
- Alaskan Native students stay and teach
In Alaska, teachers are working to address graduation rates by incorporating Native Alaskan traditions into the classroom. Continue readingAlaskaAmerican GraduateeducationNative American
- Jerusalem attack escalates violence in region
Two Palestinian men murdered four people at a synagogue in Jerusalem yesterday in the deadliest attack on the city in six years. Continue readingHamasIslamIsraelJudaismPalestine
- #MyZeitgeist: 2014 student challenge
Logo: Ashley vonClausburg Compete | #MyZeitgeist Zeitgeist zeit•geist noun : the general beliefs, ideas, and…#MyZeitgeist
- 70 years later, Holocaust victim’s dress designs come back to life
A new look at the Holocaust is coming from an unexpected place: a fashion design project decades in the making. Continue readinghistoryHolocaustSocial Issuessocial studies
- Jon Stewart’s first movie tackles torture in Iran
“Rosewater,” the first movie directed by “The Daily Show” host Jon Stewart, shows how it is possible to find humor and humanity even in the darkest of places. Continue readingFirst AmendmentIranJon StewartThe Daily Show