ArticleFebruary 2nd, 2014
Active learning resources
Active learning is a great way to engage students and help them reach their fullest potential. Research supports the positive effects of physical activity on attention, academic and pro-social behavior. Use these tools and lesson plans to get your classroom moving!
1. Resource | Brain Rules’ video on exercise and optimal learning environments
To learn more about the science behind the relationship between exercise and learning watch the above from Brain Rules
2. Lesson Plans | The Zombie Autopsies for Educators
Lessons 1 and 2 teaches students about neurotransmitters, neurotransmission and neuroanatomy through multi-media and active learning games. This unit was inspired by the book the “Zombie Autopsies” by Dr. Steven Schlozman.
3. Lesson Plan | Research Methods and Statistics through Kickball
In this active learning lesson plan students will learn basic statistics and research methods by creating and carrying out their own experiment. Playing kickball is suggested, but not required.
4. Lesson Plan | Paper Football and Government Fundamentals
Use paper football to teach students about different kinds of governments.
5. Resource | Five Finger Fling
Use this math activity from Ever Active Schools to get students on their feet and thinking.
6. Video and Article | Why recess and physical education are making a comeback
Use this story from the PBS NewsHour to teach your students about the merits of “active learning.”
7. Resource | Let’s Move
Let’s Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by First Lady Michelle Obama, dedicated to solving the problem of obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams.
Submit Your Student Voice
Tooltip of RSS content 3
- U.S., Cuba re-establish diplomatic ties
President Obama announced that the U.S. and Cuba would “normalize” their relationship in a major change to U.S. diplomatic policy. Continue readingcubaPoliticssocial studiesWorld
- What do you know about the biggest news stories of 2014? 2014Media Literacyquizsocial studies
- Taliban school massacre shocks world community
Taliban gunmen massacred over a hundred students at a school in the city of Peshawar, Pakistan, in one of the worst terrorist attacks in years. Continue readingPakistansocial studiesTalibanterrorismWorld
- During climate summit, protesters damage ancient Peruvian site
An environmental protest aimed at a historic global climate summit in Lima, Peru drew attention for disrupting a Peruvian world heritage site. Continue readingclimate changeenvironmentperuSciencesocial studiesSTEM
- The Pakistan school massacre: “an attack on humanity”
By Arooj Khalid Children are the angels of heaven. They are innocent little flowers, their smiles…PakistanStudent VoicesTalibanterrorism