Daily VideoDecember 20, 2017
Free eye exams and glasses give these students vision to learn
Video Summary: If time is of the essence, stop the video at 4m:15s or 6m:15s.
- A new program called Vision for Baltimore provides eye exams and two pairs of glasses free of charge to every K-8 student in Baltimore City who needs them.
- About 25 percent of students in Baltimore who need glasses do not have access to them due to their high cost and the high level of poverty in Baltimore.
- More than 30 percent of children live below the poverty line in Baltimore; the national average is 22 percent.
- City health department officials, a nonprofit organization called Vision to Learn, researchers from Johns Hopkins University and the eye wear retailer Warby Parker are working together to provide the exams, prescriptions, and fashionable glasses.
- Researchers from John Hopkins report students improve academically after getting glasses.
- Essential question: How does poverty affect a child’s opportunity to learn?
- Do you know someone who wears glasses who wouldn’t be able to perform everyday functions without them?
- Whose responsibility is it to help children get access to proper health care? Explain your answer.
- Besides improved academic learning, can you think of other long term benefits that providing glasses to those who need them may have on society?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
While other events make the news headlines, the March For Our Lives is likely still playing a key part in your students’ lives, even those who may not have attended any events over the weekend. Use these videos and student voice pieces to debrief on the March and discuss next steps forward. Continue reading
Thousands of students will participate in walkouts across the U.S. today to end gun violence in schools. Continue reading
The Trump Administration shared its plan to end school shootings on Sunday. It was met with wide criticism for not doing enough to address the problem. Continue reading
PBS social media activity: In addition to walkouts, what are ways to express your solutions to gun violence? Tag @NewsHourExtra using #StudentGunReformIdeas via Twitter Continue reading
This lesson plan discusses the student walks outs in the wake of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, and the role of student activism. Continue reading