Daily VideoMay 17, 2017
Should seat belts be mandatory on school buses?
- School districts around the country are debating whether or not to require seat belts on school buses. Requiring seat belts comes at a high cost for school districts already struggling with tight budgets.
- School buses are designed to protect riders with seats that are close together and padded, but five to six students still die every year from accidents.
- Most districts do not have seat belts on their buses, citing that buses are already the safest method of transporting children to school and that money could be better spent elsewhere.
- Advocates want to install seat belts as additional precaution to prevent as many injuries and deaths as possible. Three-point belts that cross the lap and shoulder help keep students in their seats in the rare instances when buses roll over.
- Essential question: What are the best ways to help keep students safe on school buses?
- Do you think school districts should require all buses to have seat belts?
- If your school bus had seat belts, would you wear one? Why or why not?
Sarah Seale contributed to today’s Daily News Story.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Students are up on their current events. Have you discussed the allegations of sexual harassment by prominent politicians with them? Use this NewsHour lesson to help your class have a sensitive, thoughtful and nonpartisan discussion. Continue readingArts & CultureEconomicsHealthScienceSocial StudiesU.S.UncategorizedWorld
In this PBS lesson, teachers use media literacy with their students to discuss New York City’s deadliest terror attack since 9/11. Continue readingArts & CultureEconomicsHealthScienceSocial StudiesU.S.UncategorizedWorld
Today’s Daily News Story discusses sexual harassment in the workplace as it pertains to revelations surrounding Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein. Continue readingArts & CultureEconomicsHealthScienceSocial StudiesU.S.UncategorizedWorld
In this NewsHour Extra lesson, students learn about the controversy surrounding a condolence call made by President Trump to a Gold Star widow, Myeshia Johnson. Continue readingArts & CultureEconomicsHealthScienceSocial StudiesU.S.UncategorizedWorld
On Nov. 7, 2017, two governors’ races will take place in New Jersey and Virginia and a special election for U.S. House of Representatives will be held in Utah. A U.S. Senate race will take place in Alabama on Dec. 12, 2017. Seven special elections for Congress will have taken place in 2017. Continue readingArts & CultureEconomicsHealthScienceSocial StudiesU.S.UncategorizedWorld