Daily VideoMay 13, 2013
Cyber Thieves Steal $45 Million
Watch Cyber ATM Robbers Grab $45 Million Worldwide Within Hours on PBS. See more from PBS NewsHour.
In a story that could be the plot in a Hollywood thriller, a network of cyber thieves in 27 countries around the world managed to steal $45 million from ATMs in broad daylight and without disguises.
The criminals hacked into the computers of companies that process prepaid debit cards, stole the data and then copied it onto doctored cards with magnetic strips.
They then went to various ATMs, withdrawing as much money as they could before the accounts were shut down.
The theft took place on two different days. On Dec. 21, 2012 thieves hit 4,500 ATMs in 20 counties to steal $5 million, then on Feb. 19 they took another $40 million in 36,000 transactions.
Authorities are still unsure who is behind the attacks.
“This was a 21st century bank heist that reached through the Internet to span the globe,” – U.S. Attourney Loretta Lynch, Eastern District of New York.
Warm up questions
1. What are some crimes that can be committed using computers?
2. How has the internet changed crime and crime fighting?
1. What did you think was the most interesting part of this video?
2. Why do you think authorities can’t figure out who the thieves are?
3. Why do you think the banks did not notice the crime earlier?
4. How could law enforcement officials go about investigating a crime that is so wide-reaching and took place in so many countries?
5. Do you think rapidly changing technology favors criminals or law enforcement?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
President Barack and Michelle Obama announced on Sunday that their eldest daughter Malia will take a gap year before attending Harvard in 2017.
While visiting refugee camps on the Greek Island of Lesbos in April, Pope Francis announced that three Syrian families would return with him to Rome for resettlement.
Three years ago, Pulitzer-winning journalist Paul Salopek began a decade-long journey around the world on foot. Continue reading
Last month, North Carolina lawmakers passed House Bill 2 requiring people to use the public bathroom matching the gender on their birth certificate. Continue reading
Donald Trump made a speech on foreign policy Wednesday and also accused Democrat candidate Hillary Clinton of playing the “woman’s card.” Continue reading