Daily VideoMay 3, 2010
Small Enough To Succeed?
As the business world becomes more and more complex, perhaps one way to avoid future “Too Big to Fail” catastrophes is to encourage companies to stay small and nimble.
Twenty years ago Paul Solman visited a small company called Springfield ReManufacturing Company which refurbished truck engines. At the time, the company was wholly owned by the employees giving every worker the incentive to read financial statements and create a great product. CEO Jack Stack also says it preserves solidarity, flexibility, entrepreneurship, and it has created more opportunities for advancement at SRC.
Now the company has investments in almost 60 related companies, many still re-manufacturing cars, tractors, boats. But there’s also a home furnishings firm, a warehousing operation, a business that teaches folks how to do business the SRC way.
NewsHour economics correspondent Paul Solman talks to employees of SRC and some business owners that have adopted the SRC way successfully.
“We saw the opportunity of being able to move them into their own businesses to make room for other people to be able to come up to the organization, because it wasn’t only about jobs. It was about opportunities.” Jack Stack, CEO SRC
“I had no idea about how important the numbers were in my business.” Juliet Mee, director, Professional Massage Training Center, Inc.
Warm Up Questions
1. What are some businesses in your community? Which are big national chains? Which are locally-owned and run?
2. What are some possible differences between big companies and small companies?
3. What does it mean if a bank is “Too Big to Fail”?
1. SRC says that it must keep its divisions small, what could be some pros and cons to that argument?
2. Why do you think that employees are more motivated if they have an ownership stake in a company they work for? Could this ever backfire?
3. Does this video encourage you to learn more about business? Why or why not?
4. What are some personality traits that make someone more likely to start their own business?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Outgoing President Barack Obama talked about key accomplishments made during his presidency in his farewell address from Chicago on Tuesday. Continue readingArts & CultureEconomicsHealthScienceU.S.UncategorizedWorld
Tuesday saw the beginning of confirmation hearings for Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions, President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee for attorney general. Continue readingArts & CultureEconomicsHealthScienceU.S.UncategorizedWorld
Vice President Joe Biden criticized President-elect Donald Trump’s angry tweets in an interview with PBS NewsHour on Thursday, saying, “Grow up, Donald.” Continue readingArts & CultureEconomicsHealthScienceU.S.UncategorizedWorld
CIA Director John Brennan discusses his concerns with Russia’s alleged interference with the U.S. election and North Korea’s continued pursuit of nuclear weapons. Continue readingArts & CultureEconomicsHealthScienceU.S.UncategorizedWorld
Turkish police are still searching for a suspect in a New Years Day attack on an Istanbul nightclub. Continue readingArts & CultureEconomicsHealthScienceU.S.UncategorizedWorld