Daily VideoDecember 5, 2013
U.N. to Vote on Sending Peacekeepers into the Central African Republic
Today the United Nations (U.N.) is set to vote to send a peacekeeping force into the Central African Republic (C.A.R.), where more than 12 civilians were killed yesterday in fighting.
The U.N. hopes the soldiers will bring some stability to the C.A.R., which has fallen into violent chaos since rebels seized control of the capital last spring.
The French have already dispatched more than 600 soldiers to the area, and plans to strengthen their presence in the capital, Bangui. Still, many in outlying areas are left without help to defend themselves from the Seleka rebels.
“We don’t have any security here,” said village leader Badenga Fidele. “There’s no police, no army, only Seleka people that come here.”
The U.N. is worried that this lack of security could lead to genocide and the C.A.R. will become another crisis zone like Sudan, Congo or Somalia.
Warm up questions
- Where is the Central African Republic located?
- What do you know about the CAR? For more information about the CAR from the BBC click here.
- What are the similarities and differences between northern Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa?
- Can you think of any other events that have occurred in Africa recently? Where and what happened?
- Who is fighting who?
- What is the role of the government?
- What should the international community do or not do?
- Should they intervene?
- Who would they support?
- How can they specifically help the children?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
DOWNLOAD VIDEO As the Paralympic Olympic Games are played in Sochi, Russia, this week, attention…
DOWNLOAD VIDEO As tensions with Russia continue to rise over Crimea, Ukraine’s new Prime Minister…
The brutally cold winter has taken its toll on the surface of the Great Lakes, causing record ice coverage and obstructing major shipping routes. Continue reading
Officials still have no idea what happened to an airliner that disappeared over Southeast Asia on March 8. Continue reading
DOWNLOAD VIDEO The breakup of Ukraine recently moved a step closer to reality. The parliament…