Daily VideoDecember 4, 2013
U.S. Education System Lags Behind Other Countries
U.S. education system lags behind other countries
While students in the U.S. are familiar with the standardized tests that help compare students within and among the states, the PISA test is designed to assess and rank the educational systems in 65 countries around the world.
The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), which administers the test, just released the results of the latest PISA test from 2012, which showed that the U.S. hovers near the middle of the pack, lagging in some areas, even as other countries advanced. The U.S. struggled the most in math, where 15-year-olds in 29 other countries had higher average scores than Americans.
U.S. scores in reading and science rank 20th and 23rd respectively in the world. The highest scoring countries were located in East Asia. Students from Shanghai, Singapore, South Korea and Japan were at the top.
Warm up questions
- How do you think the U.S. education system compares to other countries?
- How could you test the quality of the system?
- How could you test the quality of the students?
- Do you believe the PISA test accurately reflects how good the U.S. education system is?
- Do you believe the PISA test accurately reflects how good U.S. students are?
- If you could design a way to test the quality of the education that you are receiving how would you do it?
- What changes could be made to the education system so that U.S. students could catch up in Math and Science?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Sony Pictures decided to stop the release of “The Interview” after hackers decimated the company’s computer systems and issued threats in what has been called an “unprecedented” cyber-attack. Continue reading
President Obama announced that the U.S. and Cuba would “normalize” their relationship in a major change to U.S. diplomatic policy. Continue reading
Taliban gunmen massacred over a hundred students at a school in the city of Peshawar, Pakistan, in one of the worst terrorist attacks in years. Continue reading
An environmental protest aimed at a historic global climate summit in Lima, Peru drew attention for disrupting a Peruvian world heritage site. Continue reading
Since Sandy Hook, Connecticut has enacted tougher gun laws while grappling with how to prevent future shootings. Continue reading