Daily VideoNovember 13, 2013
What If Super Typhoons Become a Way of Life?
In the wake of the massive typhoon that hit the Philippines last week, Filipino climate change commissioner Yeb Sano appealed to the international community to take action against a warming planet.
“I speak for the countless people who will no longer be able to speak for themselves after perishing from the storm,” he said. “We can take drastic action now to ensure that we prevent a future where super typhoons become a way of life.”
Typhoon Haiyan stretched hundreds of miles wide with sustained winds of 190 to 195 mph, making it one of the strongest storms ever recorded. Its power raises the question: are storms getting stronger as the planet gets warmer?
While climate scientists don’t tie any one weather event to climate change, they do warn that greenhouse gas emissions could cause extreme weather, like Typhoon Haiyan, superstorm Sandy in 2012 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005 to become more intense.
Warm up questions
- Is global warming a fact or theory? For the difference between a fact and a theory watch Bite Sci-zed video “Theory vs. Scientific Theory” from Alex Dainis.
- What do you know about global warming? What are its effects on the planet? How can it be stopped?
- What do you know about Typhoon Haiyan? Where did it hit? What happened?
- Do you think that Typhoon Haiyan (or its intensity) is a product of climate change? Explain your answer.
- What can you do to help the survivors?
- What can we do to support efforts to reduce climate change?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Rep. Kevin McCarthy shocked Republican members of the U.S. House of Representatives by unexpectedly dropping out of the race for Speaker of the House. Continue reading
California’s four-year drought is causing the state to sink. Many of the state’s farmers have turned to drilling deeper and deeper down in order to find groundwater for their crops, resulting in a higher risk of flooding. Continue reading
Seventy-seven years ago, Judy Garland first recorded one of the most iconic songs of the 20th century, “Over the Rainbow.” Learn what makes the song such a classic with this lesson.
DOWNLOAD VIDEO After last week’s school shooting at an Oregon community college, candidates running for…
An airstrike on a hospital in Northern Afghanistan over the weekend has an international aid organization demanding answers.