Lesson PlansBack to lesson plans archive August 14, 2013
The March on Washington: basic teacher resources
Here are four great resources designed to support the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington Lesson Plans and Resources:
- The 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington Quick Guide – The who, what, when, why, where and how of the March.
- The Interactive Timeline of the History of Civil Rights Movement – An interactive timeline filled with video and text about the events that shaped the Civil Rights Movement. For teachers there is a timeline guide that denotes the event and the length of its corresponding video.
- The 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington Glossary – Use this comprehensive glossary to help students build a foundation on the vocabulary of the Civil Rights Movement.
- PBS Student Reporting Labs Resource -Use these 12 captivating student responses on MLK’s Dream, race and change to get a discussion started in your own classroom.
The Materials You Need
Tooltip of materials
Tooltip of related stories
More Lesson Plans
Tooltip of more video block
Tooltip of RSS content 3
- President visits Alaskan Arctic, renames Mt. McKinley
President Barack Obama became the first sitting U.S. president to visit the Alaskan Arctic during a three-day trip this week to discuss climate change and its threat to the region. Continue readingAlaskaarcticArctic CouncilBarack Obamaclimate changeMount McKinley
- Can trauma be passed to next generation through DNA?
New research suggests that experiencing intense psychological trauma may have a genetic impact on a person’s future children. Continue readingDNAgeneticsHolocaustpost traumatic stressPTSDresearchSciencetrauma
- President visits New Orleans ten years after Katrina
Speaking in one of the neighborhoods worst hit by Hurricane Katrina, President Obama praised the city’s recovery and acknowledged the challenges still facing its residents. Continue readingBarack ObamainequalityKatrinaNew Orleans
- Five things your class should know on the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina
By Gabby Shacknai Aug. 29 marks the 10-year anniversary of one of the most costly…HurricanesKatrinaNew Orleans
- Why I’m taking a gap year in Brazil
Whenever I tell someone about my bridge year plans, they first appear baffled by the term and then flabbergasted by the fact that it doesn’t fit the usual expectations post-high school. Continue readingBrazilgap yearGlobal Citizen Yeartravel