Lesson PlansBack to lesson plans archive September 12, 2013
Voyager becomes first spacecraft to enter interstellar space – Lesson Plan
by Katie Gould, Teacher Resource Producer for NewsHour Extra
Middle and High School
Warm Up Activity
How far is the moon from the earth?
- Pose this question to students- How far away is the moon from the earth?- and give them four answers to choose from (write answers on the board):
- 73,870 miles
- 157,550 miles
- 238,900 miles
- 370,250 miles
- Go through each answer and ask students to vote (by raising their hand) for the answer they think is correct.
- Once everyone has voted, tell them the correct answer is “C”. To help the students understand the distance better show them the video clip How far away is the moon from the earth.
- Pass out the “Earth to Moon Scale” handout and let students solve the problems in pairs.
- Go over the answers and explain how to arrive at the correct answer (see answer key).
- Now show students the “Scale of the Universe” infographic and explore it as either a class together or, if computers are available, on their own.
- Now that students have an appreciation for the scale of the universe and a firm grounding in how far away the moon is, introduce them to the Voyager 1 Spacecraft by showing this video clip ScienceCasts: Voyager 1 at the Final Frontier.
- Now have students read the article “Voyager Spacecraft Reaches Interstellar Space”
- Help students looking for more depth on the topic understand the “how it works” by sharing this helpful Voyager resource
- End the activity with a video from Neil deGrasse Tyson that examines how we, as humans, are related to the larger universe in “The Most Astounding Fact”.
Special thanks to Rebecca Jacobson for her help on this lesson.
The Materials You Need
Tooltip of materials
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Tooltip of RSS content 3
Fallout from transgender law hits North Carolina’s wallet
Last month, North Carolina lawmakers passed House Bill 2 requiring people to use the public bathroom matching the gender on their birth certificate. Continue readingbathroom billboycottdiscriminationLGBTNorth Carolinatransgender
World News Quiz: A 30 year anniversary and a surprise trip
See how much your students paid attention to world events this week with this fun, 5-minute quiz! Continue readingForeign PolicyJoe Bidenworld news quiz
Cruz picks a running mate, Trump accuses Clinton of playing ‘woman card’
Donald Trump made a speech on foreign policy Wednesday and also accused Democrat candidate Hillary Clinton of playing the “woman’s card.” Continue readingCarly FiorinaDonald TrumpElection 2016Hillary ClintonTed Cruzwomen
World’s worst nuclear disaster 30 years later
Thirty years ago, the world experienced its worst nuclear disaster at the Chernobyl power plant located in the former Soviet Union, now modern day Ukraine. Continue readingChernobylEastern Europenuclear disasternuclear powerradiationRussiaSoviet UnionUkraine
Kasich and Cruz team up to block Trump nomination
Republicans Ted Cruz and John Kasich teamed up to block Donald Trump this week, drawing an angry response from the front-runner and his supporters.delegatesDonald TrumpElection 2016John KasichprimariesTed Cruz