Lesson PlansBack to lesson plans archive August 14, 2013
The 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington Lesson Plan: A Mathematical Representation of the March
By Katie Gould, Teacher Resource Producer for PBS NewsHour Extra
Math, history, and civil rights
One 45 minute class
This lesson is designed for high school, middle school, or elemenatry students with Intellectual Disabilities
In order to help students better understand the large number of people who attended the March on Washington, this lesson uses items (could be dot stickers, paper clips, etc.)to represent the number of people who attended. Further the lesson gives them the task of recreating an accurate account by using a map, and views from different parts of the March.
Warm Up Activity
Representation and Percentages
- As a class, count the total number of students in the room.
- After you have a total, then count the number of girls and boys.
- As a class use these two numbers to figure out what percentage of the room is female or male.
- On the board draw a pie chart to help them visually understand the concept so they will be able to do it again with the total numbers of attendees of the March on Washington.
How many people were at the March on Washington in 1963?
Pass out the following materials to students:
- March on Washington Math Lesson Directions sheet
- Aerial views of the March on Washington sheet
- Map of the March on Washington
- 30 sticker dots, paper clips, or other counting tools
1. Read the directions sheet with the students, and help them to understand their task: making a mathematical representation of the number of attendees at the March. Once they have figured out how many people equals one sticker dot have them use the aerial views of the March to construct a representative population on the map.
2. Help students to understand the percentage of black and white people that attended the March by using the pie chart to fill in the sections that would make the representation true.
Follow up Questions
- Why do you think so many people came out to the march?
- Do you think they did a good job organizing the march?
The Materials You Need
Tooltip of materials
Common Core Standards
Tooltip of standarts
Relevant National Standards:
- CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.A.1 Interpret products of whole numbers, e.g., interpret 5 × 7 as the total number of objects in 5 groups of 7 objects each. For example, describe a context in which a total number of objects can be expressed as 5 × 7.
- CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.A.2 Interpret whole-number quotients of whole numbers, e.g., interpret 56 ÷ 8 as the number of objects in each share when 56 objects are partitioned equally into 8 shares, or as a number of shares when 56 objects are partitioned into equal shares of 8 objects each. For example, describe a context in which a number of shares or a number of groups can be expressed as 56 ÷ 8.
- CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.A.3 Use multiplication and division within 100 to solve word problems in situations involving equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Tooltip of RSS content 3
- Some countries temporarily halt commercial flights to Israel
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Introduction Israelis and Palestinians both share the country of Israel, with Palestinians concentrated…World
- Obama demands full cooperation for Malaysia Airlines crash investigation
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Introduction Inspire students to think about the role of international diplomacy in the…World
- Graffiti artists take to the streets of Brazil to combat violence against women
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Brazilian street artists used the spotlight of the World Cup to highlight a…World
- California school integrates play with learning
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Imagine going to a school without desks or worksheets. Learning takes place while…educationLearning
- Israeli and Palestinian teen deaths escalate tensions in the Middle East
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Tension has escalated between Israelis and Palestinians after the kidnapping and murder of…World