'The Passion of the Christ' Incites Passionate Criticism: 2/25/04
Reading Comprehension Questions:
1. What is the movie 'The Passion of the Christ' based on?
2. Why are Jewish leaders criticizing the movie?
3. What would the Anti-Defamation League like Mel Gibson to add to his movie?
4. Why have some critics said teens should not see this movie?
5. How have some Christian groups and parents responded to the violence?
6. How has Gibson defended his film?
7. What has all the publicity done for the film?
Questions (more research might be needed):
2. Movie companies sometimes use controversy to generate publicity to sell tickets. Do you think that is part of what is happening? Why or why not? Has Mel Gibson's movie been given the same scrutiny as some other violent movies such as Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill or Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers? Should it be? Why or why not?
Send your answers, in essay form, to firstname.lastname@example.org for possible publication!