Of Clothing Imports From China Worries U.S. Government And Workers, 04/11/05
Reading Comprehension Questions:
1. How have Chinese textile imports changed in the last year? What is the cause of this change?
2. How have these changes impacted the U.S. textile industry?
3. How are U.S. politicians reacting to the textile import situation?
4. How do some American clothing companies feel about the government's plan?
5. How are other countries impacted by the textile changes?
(more research might be needed):
2. "Any attempt or moves to extend the quota system would go against the principle of free and fair trade and shakes the foundations of the multilateral trading system," spokesman Chong Wen said on China's commerce ministry Web site.
What is fair trade and what is a multilateral trading system? How are these regulated by the World Trade Organization?
3. If you were a politician representing a state that has a textile mill, how would you attempt to solve this dilemma? Would you attempt to impose quotas on imports? Why or why not? How might where you are from impact the decisions you make?
Write a 300-500 word essay on any of these topics providing clear examples. Send your completed editorial to NewsHour Extra [email@example.com]. Exceptional essays might be published on our Web site.