'The Jungle' Turns 100, 05/10/06
Reading Comprehension Questions:
2. Describe the life of a worker in the Chicago stockyards 100 years ago.
3. What about the Chicago stockyards caused public outrage after Sinclair's book was published?
4. How did Sinclair's book directly impact the food industry?
5. How did the publication of "The Jungle" impact workers' jobs?
6. What is the state of the meatpacking industry today? Who works in it and what is their workday like?
7. How does the meat packing industry respond to criticisms?
Discussion Activity (more research might be needed):
1. The publication of Upton Sinclair's novel "The Jungle" had a direct impact on the meat packing industry and its workers. Can you think of other books that had a similar impact?
2. Do you think a novel published today could have such a profound impact? Why or why not?
3. Compare the situation for meat workers now and when Sinclair's novel was published. How are they similar? How are they different? Has the situation improved? Why or why not? Would you want to work in a meat packing plant or slaughterhouse? Why or why not?
Write a 500-800 word essay on any of these topics providing clear examples. Send your completed editorial to NewsHour Extra [email@example.com]. Exceptional essays might be published on our Web site.