Using NewsHour Extra Feature Stories
Overview: NewsHour Extra features stories can help students identify and interpret key issues in current events. This activity anticipates one class period, but the follow-up essay might be assigned as homework, or in another period.
Warm Up: Use initiating questions to introduce the topic and find out how much your students know.
Main Activity: Have students read NewsHour Extra's feature story and answer the questions on the reading comprehension handout.
Discussion: Use discussion questions to encourage students to think about how the issues outlined in the story affect their lives and express and debate different opinions.
Follow-up: Students can write an 500-word editorial on the topic expressing their views and send it to NewsHour Extra [firstname.lastname@example.org] for possible publication.
Evaluation: Students are graded on their answers to reading comprehension questions and/or their editorial.
Story: FDA Panel
Recommends Sale of Silicone Breast Implants, 10/22/03
1. Why do you think
people have plastic surgery?
Reading Comprehension Questions: (click here for printout)
1. What significant event occurred that could impact women's health?
2. When were silicone breast implants banned? Why?
3. What is the alternative to silicone implants? What do users of this alternative complain of?
4. What have studies since 1992 shown about the relation between silicone implants and disease? What do critics say about these results?
5. How popular has breast enlargement become? Provide statistics.
Discussion Activity (more research might be needed):
2. Should patients be allowed to choose potentially dangerous procedures? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
3. Why do you think the number of breast augmentation procedures has increased so much from 1992 to 2002? What does this tell us about the culture we live in? Explain your reasoning.
Write a 300-500 word essay on any of these topics providing clear examples. Send your completed editorial to NewsHour Extra [email@example.com]. Exceptional essays might be published on our Web site.