Massachusetts Requires Everyone to Get Health Insurance, 04/17/06
1. What is Massachusetts doing to help improve medical care?
2. How does health insurance work? How do health insurance companies make money?
3. What is Medicaid?
4. How many uninsured Americans are there? Why might someone be uninsured?
6. According to the story, will this plan be a model for health insurance nation-wide?
Discussion Activity (more research might be needed):
2. In the United States there are private health insurance companies and government health insurance for low-income citizens. Some countries provide universal health insurance for all citizens, regardless of income. Research the topic and write an opinion piece about universal health insurance. Should this be a goal of the U.S.? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning.
3. Medicaid eligibility requirements are determined by each state. What are the requirements in your state? How many people qualify for Medicaid? How many are enrolled? What is the health insurance situation in your state? Could a plan like Massachusetts work there? Why or why not?
Write a 300-500 word essay on any of these topics providing clear examples. Send your completed editorial to NewsHour Extra (email@example.com). Exceptional essays might be published on our Web site.