Students Study Space Storms, 5/16/07
1. How does the sun cause auroras -- bands of light in the Northern and Southern hemispheres -- to occur?
2. What kinds of problems can magnetic storms in space cause?
3. What is the goal of NASA's THEMIS mission?
4. What do the magnetometers placed in Petersburg, Alaska and other Northern locations measure?
5. How does Petersburg, Alaska student Erin Streuli know when to go outside and watch for the Northern lights?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more stories about science and technology for students, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/students/science.