Using NewsHour Extra Worksheets
Overview: NewsHour Extra worksheets can help students follow along and identify key points in NewsHour science broadcast pieces.
Warm Up: Introduce the topic of the broadcast piece and find out how much your students know.
Main Activity: Hand out the worksheet and have students answer the questions as they watch the NewsHour segment.
Need a DVD of the science segment?: Write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Story: Missing Bees Puzzle Scientists, 4/3/07
1. Name one California crop that is completely dependent on bees for pollination.
2. What is the name given to the recent nationwide problem of bees disappearing from hives?
3. How is a honeybee society organized? How many queens, males and females are in a colony?
4. What are some of the suspected possible causes of the honeybee die-off?
5. Name one thing scientists are doing to try to solve the honeybee disappearance mystery.
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more science lesson plans and worksheets, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/science.