Using NewsHour Extra Worksheets
Overview: NewsHour Extra worksheets can help students follow along and identify key points in NewsHour science broadcast pieces.
Warm Up: Introduce the topic of the broadcast piece and find out how much your students know.
Main Activity: Hand out the worksheet and have students answer the questions as they watch the NewsHour segment.
Need a DVD of the science segment?: Write to email@example.com.
Story: Common Grassland Birds Disappearing in Midwest , 7/31/07
1. How many years of bird population data did the National Audubon Society analyze? Who collected the data?
2. What is the biggest reason for steep declines in the bird population, according to Chicago Audubon Director Stephen Packard?
3. How much of Illinois used to be covered by prairie? What percent is covered now?
4. After volunteers restored a Chicago-area prairie, by what percent did Bobolink and Meadowlark populations increase?
5. What is one kind of grass that volunteers are using to reseed and recreate prairie?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more science lesson plans and worksheets, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/science.