Using NewsHour Extra Worksheets
Overview: NewsHour Extra worksheets can help students follow along and identify key points in NewsHour science broadcast pieces.
Warm Up: Introduce the topic of the broadcast piece and find out how much your students know.
Main Activity: Hand out the worksheet and have students answer the questions as they watch the NewsHour segment.
Need a DVD of the science segment?: Write to email@example.com.
Shed New Light on Cancer Genes in Humans, 3/15/07
1. Why are purebred dogs perfect for this type of cancer research?
2. Do dogs and humans get the same kinds of cancer?
3. What's another reason dogs are used in these studies?
4. Why does it help that dogs' life spans are shorter than humans?
5. Does the dog cancer vaccine work in humans?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more science lesson plans and worksheets, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/science.