Using NewsHour Extra Worksheets
Overview: NewsHour Extra worksheets can help students follow along and identify key points in NewsHour science broadcast pieces.
Warm Up: Introduce the topic of the broadcast piece and find out how much your students know.
Main Activity: Hand out the worksheet and have students answer the questions as they watch the NewsHour segment.
Need a DVD of the science segment?: Write to email@example.com.
Eagle Removed from Endangered Species List, 6/28/07
1. Where was the ceremony to remove the bald eagle from the endangered species list held?
2. How many nesting pairs of bald eagles were there in the United States in 1963? How many are there today?
3. What actions has the government taken over the past 70 years to try to protect the eagles?
4. Why does removing the bald eagle from the endangered species list worry eagle researcher Frank Isaacs?
5. Why has it been easier to bring back the bald eagle than it has been to bring back some other endangered species, such as the spotted owl?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more science lesson plans and worksheets, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/science.