Using NewsHour Extra Worksheets
Overview: NewsHour Extra worksheets can help students follow along and identify key points in NewsHour science broadcast pieces.
Warm Up: Introduce the topic of the broadcast piece and find out how much your students know.
Main Activity: Hand out the worksheet and have students answer the questions as they watch the NewsHour segment.
Need a DVD of the science segment?: Write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Story: Ethanol Benefits Farmers, Raises Environmental Questions, 10/9/07
1. Why have corn prices risen recently?
2. What percentage of the country's gasoline does President Bush aim to replace with ethanol and other renewable fuels?
3. Why does professor Jan Krieder think that ethanol is a "flawed" fuel option?
4. Why does ethanol plant manager Dave Kramer think that Yuma County, Colorado, is a good place for an ethanol production plant?
5. What is cellulosic ethanol and what are its potential advantages?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more science lesson plans and worksheets, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/science.