Using NewsHour Extra Worksheets
Overview: NewsHour Extra worksheets can help students follow along and identify key points in NewsHour science broadcast pieces.
Warm Up: Introduce the topic of the broadcast piece and find out how much your students know.
Main Activity: Hand out the worksheet and have students answer the questions as they watch the NewsHour segment.
Need a DVD of the science segment?: Write to email@example.com.
Pet Food Scare
Raises Questions About Food Safety, 6/1/07
1. Almost everything we eat comes from foreign countries. When it enters the United States, how much of it does the Food and Drug Administration inspect?
2. Why are fish and shrimp a particular problem?
3. What were the pet deaths blamed on?
4. What would ultimately cause foreign suppliers to make food safety a priority?
5. What is one thing Congress is thinking about doing?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more science lesson plans and worksheets, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/science.