Story: Intel Works
on Faster, More Powerful Computer Chip , 5/7/07
1. What material is now used to make transistors for computer chips, and what material is Intel using in its new chips?
2. When was the first transistor built, and how big was it? How big will the new transistors be?
3. What is one possible use for the new Intel chips, according to Intel scientists?
4. According to an AMD scientist, how are AMD chips already being used?
5. How do the molecules invented by Frasier Stoddart act as transistors?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more stories about science and technology for students, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/students/science.