Provides Window into Brain Function, 2/5/07
1. What kind of work did Daniel Levitin do for more than a decade before he became a scientist? Who are some of the musicians he worked with?
2. What does all sound, including music, begin as?
3. How long does it take the brain to process and put together the various components that make up music, such as pitch, rhythm, tempo and timbre?
4. When Levitin scanned the brains of people listening to music they liked, what did he find?
5. According to Levitin, why do we find Stevie Wonder's drumming on the song "Superstition" interesting?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more stories about science and technology for students, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/students/science.