Using NewsHour Extra Worksheets
Overview: NewsHour Extra worksheets can help students follow along and identify key points in NewsHour science broadcast pieces.
Warm Up: Introduce the topic of the broadcast piece and find out how much your students know.
Main Activity: Hand out the worksheet and have students answer the questions as they watch the NewsHour segment.
Need a DVD of the science segment?: Write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Story: FAA Reconsiders
Pilot Retirement Age, 5/8/07
1. At what age does the Federal Aviation Administration require pilots to retire?
2. What key piloting skill are researchers at Stanford University testing in older pilots?
3. How do some older pilots compensate for losing some cognitive ability, according to researcher Jerome Yesavage?
4. Why do some pilots want the FAA to change the retirement age and others don't?
5. Why is former pilot David Mann suing the government?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more science lesson plans and worksheets, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/science.