Using NewsHour Extra Worksheets
Overview: NewsHour Extra worksheets can help students follow along and identify key points in NewsHour science broadcast pieces.
Warm Up: Introduce the topic of the broadcast piece and find out how much your students know.
Main Activity: Hand out the worksheet and have students answer the questions as they watch the NewsHour segment.
Need a DVD of the science segment?: Write to email@example.com.
Debate Pluto's Planetary Status, 1/31/07
1. Why did Pluto not fit the new definition of a planet?
2. Why are some astronomers upset with Pluto's downgrading?
3. How might the new definition of a planet impact the other eight, according to astronomer David Weintraub?
4. What happened when the Hayden Planetarium in New York City decided not to include Pluto in its planetary display?
5. Why is it useful to have a definition of a planet, according to astronomer Mike Brown?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more science lesson plans and worksheets, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/science.