Using NewsHour Extra Worksheets
Overview: NewsHour Extra worksheets can help students follow along and identify key points in NewsHour science broadcast pieces.
Warm Up: Introduce the topic of the broadcast piece and find out how much your students know.
Main Activity: Hand out the worksheet and have students answer the questions as they watch the NewsHour segment.
Need a DVD of the science segment?: Write to email@example.com.
Story: GPS-based System May Improve Air Travel, 12/12/07
1. Why do GPS-based air traffic control systems allow planes to fly closer together more safely as compared to radar-based systems?
2. What are two reasons that the FAA chose Bethel, Alaska as the place to test the new system?
3. By what percentage has the accident rate dropped around Bethel since the airport began to use the new system?
4. By what year does the FAA estimate it will have the system installed in all of the lower 48 states?
5. What company is using a version of this system at its Louisville hub? How much money do they estimate that it has saved, via improved efficiency?
For more NewsHour Science Reports, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/science.
For more science lesson plans and worksheets, go to www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/science.