Congress Debates Lobbying Reform, 03/06/06
1. If a person donates
money to a lawmaker, can they ask him or her to vote a certain way?
1. What crimes did Jack Abramoff plead guilty to?
2. Jack Abramoff is seen as a symbol of a larger problem. What problem is that?
3. What effect will the investigation surrounding Abramoff have?
4. What is lobbying?
5. Why do people lobby?
6. Who do lobbyists represent?
7. When will the Senate consider lobbying reform?
8. What types of reforms have been proposed?
9. What reforms have already been passed?
Discussion Activity (more research might be needed):
1. Have you ever written
your congressman, signed a petition or lobbied the government in any way?
Write an essay explaining what you did and why.
3. Write an essay
explaining why lobbying is sometimes harmful to government.
Write a 300-500 word essay on any of these topics providing clear examples. Send your completed editorial to NewsHour Extra (email@example.com). Exceptional essays might be published on our Web site.