Sept. 11 Co-conspirator Could Get Death Penalty, 04/05/06
1. Who is Zacarias Moussaoui?
2. Why was Moussaoui arrested? How have FBI agents connected him to the September 11 attacks?
3. Why does the Justice Department argue that Moussaoui should get the death penalty?
4. What has the trial revealed about mistakes made by the FBI leading up to September 11?
5. What happened when Moussaoui took the witness stand?
Discussion Activity (more research might be needed):
1. What do you know about the death penalty? There are groups in the United States that oppose any form of the death penalty. What are their arguments against it? What are the arguments in favor of the death penalty? Which side do you agree with?
2. Do you think Moussaoui should be put to death? Why or why not?
3. What might happen if Moussaoui becomes a martyr to anti-American groups? What can the U.S. government do to keep him from being a martyr?
Write a 300-500 word essay on any of these topics providing clear examples. Send your completed editorial to NewsHour Extra (email@example.com). Exceptional essays might be published on our Web site.