Reading Comprehension Questions:
1. How much is the AIDS package and what is the money going towards? Be specific.
2. According to the Office of National AIDS Policy, how many people suffer from HIV and AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean?
3. How many people in the United States have HIV/AIDS?
4. What do AIDS activists think about the president's plan?
5. Who is President Bush calling on for support in this fight against AIDS?
Discussion Activity (more research might be needed):
1. Do you agree with President Bush when he says that the U.S. has a moral obligation to help? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
2. Do you think that pharmaceutical companies should provide AIDS medications for free or reduced prices to HIV/AIDS patients around the world? Justify your answer.
Write a 300-500 word essay on either of these topics providing clear examples. Send your completed editorial to NewsHour Extra (email@example.com). Exceptional essays might be published on our Web site.