Story: United Nations
Gets New Leadership, 1/04/07
Reading Comprehension Questions:
1. What is the role of the United Nations secretary-general?
2. Who is the new secretary general?
3. What are his goals?
4. Why does the secretary-general need cooperation from U.N. member countries?
5. Why are some people concerned about Ban's abilities as a leader?
6. Why is there a rift between rich and poor countries in the United Nations?
7. What event caused tension between the United Nations and the United States?
8. How much money and how many peacekeepers does the United Nations have at its disposal?
Discussion Activity (more research might be needed):
1. If you were the
new secretary-general, which international issues would be your top priority
2. How do you think
Ban should try to repair tensions between individual countries and the
Write a 300-500 word essay on any of these topics providing clear examples. Send your completed editorial to NewsHour Extra (firstname.lastname@example.org). Exceptional essays might be published on our Web site.