National Council for the Social Studies:
II Time, Continuity and Change
III People, Places and Environments
IV Individual Development and Identity
VI Power, Authority and Governance
IX Global Connections
X Civic Ideals and Practice
Mid Continent Research for Education and Learning Behavioral Studies Standard and Benchmarks:
Standard 4: understands conflict, cooperation and interdependence among individuals, groups and institutions.
1. Understands that conflict between people or groups may arise from competition over ideas, resources, power, and/or status
7. Understands that even when the majority of people in a society agree on a social decision, the minority who disagree must be protected form oppression, just as the majority may need protection against unfair retaliation from the minority.
8. Understands how various institutions have changed over time and how they further both continuity and change in societies
9. Understands how changes in social and political institutions both reflect and affect individual's career choices, values and significant actions
10. Understands that decisions of one generation both provide and limit the range of possibilities open to the next generation