A 7.2-magnitude earthquake hit the nation of Turkey killing at least 279 people and injuring more than 1,000. The quake devastated the cities of Ercis and Van in eastern Turkey.
Rescuers have redoubled their efforts, pulling survivors from the ruins of homes and offices. Hundreds are still trapped and as the hours pass, so does hope for survival.
Reports say there have been many aftershocks and tens of thousands of people are huddled around fires, sleeping outdoors despite the cold in fear that another strong quake will strike.
"There are lives to be saved and no time to waste..." -John Ray, Independent Television News.
1. What is an earthquake? What causes it?
2. What types of natural disasters can occur where you live? How do you prepare and react to them?
3. What should you do if an earthquake hits?
1. Have you or someone you know ever experienced an earthquake? Discuss.
2. What would you do if you had 90 seconds to save your own life, or the lives of your peers?