PBS NewsHour is in search of a Front-End Designer to work with the digital team to design and build PBS NewsHour products and contribute to the overall creative direction of the brand.
- Develop visual standards and create designs based on feedback from stakeholders.
- Make use of reusable front-end frameworks.
- Explore and prototype new products and interfaces that push PBS NewsHour forward.
- Collaborate with a small team of designers, developers and editors to update and maintain PBS NewsHour’s digital products.
- Partner with reporters to research and produce data visualizations on data-driven news stories.
- Explore emerging technologies and services and assist with developing strategy for digital products.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Proven ability to design web interfaces using flat design and other modern UX/UI principles.
- Expert user of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, or other design applications.
- Expert knowledge and proficiency in responsive design dealing with the challenges relating to different web browsers and mobile devices.
- Expert knowledge and proficiency in HTML5, CSS required.
- Ability to provide and receive creative critique.
- Excellent organizational, project planning, presentation and time management skills with careful attention to detail needed.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to successfully perform in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities and deadline pressures.
- An interest in journalism and public media.
- Work occasional flexible hours to accommodate special news coverage and other deadlines.
- Willingness to adapt to available company technology and resources.
- College degree.
- Experience in journalism desirable.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a front-end designer.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To apply through our online application, please click here to be directed to the careers page at WETA. To confirm that a WETA or PBS NewsHour job posting is under recruitment, please visit our websites for our current job postings list: www.weta.org and www.pbs.org/newshour/.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.