- Remain current on all forms of news-gathering and newsroom system equipment.
- Collaborate with the News Operations Director to continually evaluate the NewsHour’s technical infrastructure. Ability and vision to develop strategies to ensure the NewsHour’s success in system and equipment technology.
- Coordinate with Production Operations to develop and work within a monthly operating budget and a capital budget.
- Interface between the NewsHour editorial staff and the host television station’s technical staff and management to effectively meet the needs of both.
- Act as a remote technical manager for any NewsHour-related special projects, including political conventions and other special remote coverage.
- Provide technical assistance to NewsHour with any PBS or CPB mandates or projects. Some projects may include interfacing with the host broadcasters or other PBS member station’s technical management and staff.
- Maintain ENG equipment inventory in good working order for field shooting requirements for broadcast or online productions. Responsible for tracking, inspecting and scheduling maintenance for equipment to ensure technical capacity for editorial requirements.
Train appropriate staff on the safe and technically correct procedures to operate ENG and editing equipment. Develop and maintain standard operating procedures to ensure compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering preferred but not required.
- Five years of experience as a Director of Engineering (Chief Engineer) at a commercial TV station with a news department, or as a network news bureau (ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, or NBC) Technical Manager or as a lead engineer at a systems integration firm that deals with newsroom systems.
- Experience with operating and capital budget plans.
- Significant experience with basic installations and operation of the following:
- Non-linear edit systems (Avid, Final Cut Pro)
- ENG Camera systems and peripherals
- Central Storage of digital video files for news production
- Content ingest and playout solutions (news-based, not master-control based)
- Flip Factory’s Vantage transcoder or similar systems
- Broadcast IT infrastructure
- Must have good working knowledge of newsroom computer systems (i.e. Avid iNews).
- Must have good working knowledge of basic networking.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a deadline-driven atmosphere.
- Strong organizational skills with a dedication towards accuracy.
This position is located in the studio building in Arlington, VA and reports to the News Operations Manager.
Commensurate with experience.
Michael Huitt, News Operations Director