Desolate Detroit- The Forsaken City
Photo: Photo by Elizabeth Shell
'Save The Depot'
Michigan Central Station, a dramatic symbol of once-proud Detroit. Built in 1913 for the Michigan Railroad, by the 1940s more than four thousand passengers a day filled the marble-walled waiting hall. At its peak, 3,000 worked in the office tower. The station closed in 1988. Today, plaintive signs hang from an upper story: "Save the Depot."